Saturday, March 20, 2010

Carmen San Diego

It’s been awhile. I know. I've been wanting to write (no really! i mean it!) ... but then I forget to upload pictures (what's the point of a blog without pictures?) ... and then another week goes by... and then I don't have Internet... and now it's been 2 months and I have so much to share.

So here it goes. I'll try to make it interesting.


---End of Feb


Holi Moli

After two long months of Delhi winter (seriously, it was COLD), I needed a break from the city, so I went to my little village in Mahuva, Gujarat for some time-out and relaxation in the peace of my guru's ashram. It was great and I came back more energized and loved and happy. I mean, who wouldn't be, when you get to live in a place this beautiful?? love love love it.


I also got to celebrate Holi with some friends, which is this fun festival where you get drenched in colored powder and water.

---Early March


So, after being smothered with Gujarati love, I ventured off with my Fulbright friends to the state of Rajesthan. We went to 3 cities: Udaipur (The White City), Jaisalmer (The Yellow City), and Jodhpur (The Blue City). Each had a different charm and we got to do some really fun stuff.


What Conference?

Our hotel in Udaipur was so SWEET with down comforters and a showerhead that was placed on the ceiling of the shower and a pool! (Thank you, State Department). This is where we spent most of our free time:


Different-Different

The main purpose of our Udaipur trip was to attend an annual Fulbright conference and hear some presentations about everyone's project. Got to listen to such huge spectrum of things - from neuroscience and REM sleep, to surrogacy in Mumbai, to Odissi dance... even got to learn about the Parsi communities though photography!

My own presentation went well. I managed to get a full-house attendance at 9:30am (which I think is kinda impressive). What's not impressive is that after my presentation, my roommates informed me that I said the sentence: "There are different-different types of Autism therapies". Which means that I officially speak FOB, even in professional settings. eek. (For more FOB phrases, check out Divergent Usage).


Poopet Show & other such sightings

Also got to do some sightseeing, including: Sahelion ki Bari (Garden of the Maidens of Honor), and a Rajesthani puppet show (pronounced: Poopet Show, in case any of you want try out your Rajesthani accents).



Udaipur is beautiful.

I got to eat dinner one night at the AMAZING Lake Palace Hotel with a friend who miraculously got us reservations. After going through all these security check points, we took a small boat to the hotel, which was located in the middle of the lake.


And as if that was exciting enough! We watched a cultural event - dancers and musicians - ate a 9 course meal - it was supposed to be a 3 course meal. but with every dish we ordered, we'd get a complimentary dish too. Ooh yum.


Cow Cow Camel

From Udaipur, we journeyed to the little golden desert town of Jaisalmer, where we checked out some really cool forts and havelis and ate on rooftop restaurants. It was lovely


We also took a 2 day camel trek where we camped in the sand dunes of the dessert. Our camelwalas (wala = man) cooked us food on top of an open fire, sang Rajesthani folk songs, and played "Cow Cow Camel" (Duck Duck Goose) with us until the wee hours of the night. Sleeping under the billions of stars and waking up to the sun rising above the mountains of sand was the most amazing sight ever. (Although, there was also something slightly amazing about being forced to bathroom out in the middle of the sand dunes and Letting Freedom Ring).


For all of you who are curious, riding a camel is hard work. My camel was a good little fella, but he still hurt me. I was sore for about a week after, and covered with bruises from their boney little (um.. well, rather large) hump.



BLEU

Did you know that the color blue is used to repel bugs?

I was able to experience this first hand when a cockroach the size of my face tried to attack me in the bathroom of our hotel in Jodhpur. I shrieked for my life. Alice came in and saved me. It was all very theatrical.

And while our hotel was not colored blue, the rest of the city in Jodhpur looked like this:


We spent most of our time in Jodhpur moseying through the city neighborhoods, trying saffron flavored dishes (saffron tea is YUM), and shopping. I bought all sorts of goodies – a camel leather satchel, Indian slippers, yellow topaz dangly earrings (which will be useful in the rare occasion that I go to the Opera one day).


So that was Rajesthan - filled with sunset, nature, cute little neighborhoods, sweat, forts, history, turbans and mustaches!

--End of March

Yah, and then I had to work. Finished off my 300 surveys and (as of yesterday): finished all my data entry. Looks like this project is going somewhere! Up next: data analysis, a butt load of literature review, and some sort of article/report. All in 3 weeks. Jai Mata Di! (technically means "Praise the Lord", but can also be used to mean "Cheers!", "Work it, baby!", or "YEAAA BOYYY!" You can take your pick).

--Early April

Papa Dhokia came over to visit! And so did my Nani and Masi and Masa and Artee (cousin)! We went to Haridwar, where the Kumbh Mela was taking place. This is considered the largest religious gathering in the world; there were 10 Million people who were there on the last day, hoping to bathe in the Ganga. And so we went, and we bathed, and cleansed our souls of anything that needed cleansing.


The place WAS like a party, tho. 24-hours of non-stop religious songs and dance, and plays, and posters. My ears were buzzing for a few hours when we finally left.
"Where did you go from there?", you must be wondering. RISHIKESH! Probably one of my most favorite, beautiful places ever: filled with mountains and trees and ganga. We roamed around the shops, ate non-Indian food, watched the religious Aarti, which was all great.
the view from our room:

But the highlight was going white water rafting in the Ganga. It was just awesome: lots of adrenaline and excitement as we crashed against the waves! (I even jumped off a cliff into the water and survived!) I think I've found a new hobby that I hope to continue when I get back to the states. Anyone interested?


I'm tired of writing now. And you must be tired of reading this ridiculously long blog.

I leave you with a picture of my cousin, Artee, from the restaurant in our hotel. More updates on my life in Delhi these past couple of weeks...
xx

No comments: