Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Everybody likes American things

Unfortunately for my group -- all of us have been taking rounds of getting sick. My dengue and typhoid aside (i am all better now, by the way), one person contracted some staph infection because of a cut after a rickshaw ran over her toe, another 3 are throwing up/diarrhea-ing, 2 more have had fevers, 1 (maybe 2?) with some kind of strange mucus cough that wont leave (i almost wish it was whooping cough, so that we can conquer that disease, too. just kidding. that's the public health in me talking), 1 with intense muscle aches... which brings the grand total prescription bill to about 100 Rupees ($1= Rs.48).

The medical bills are way cheap. my favorite part about their system is that i can just go into the pharmacy and get meds without truly needing a prescription. Hey atul - u know how we were thinking about ways to get rich? Well my Big Idea is to smuggle rx drugs into the country and sell them for cheaper. Like how Homer did in that episode of the simpsons. Do u think it'll work?

Anyway, these sicknesses haven't really stopped us from having fun! We are scholars, dammit!

Dodie-Ji's Birthday
Last week Dodie turned 23. During the day, Lauren Dodie and I went out to the DAR salon in South Ex and splurged on manicures, pedicures, and full-body oil massage. I'm not much for indulging in beauty, but ooh wee, I can definitely get used to this. I mean, the massage was really intense, but it relaxed me; I was snoring at one point. Plus the girl's name was Shashi. And my skin was dripping in lusciousness, so my $25 one hour massage was definitely worth it.

We grabbed a late lunch at Sanchos, the only "mexican" food in town. It was surprisingly good, although the mango salsa tasted a bit like Rus and the nachos had green olives on them.

Then had a big bash at the Lajpat house, filled with Karim's take away menu,

gifts,

a banana-rum bread pudding (still can't believe you made that, Dana Face),
"Hey look, an Atul Digital Candle! What the hell is a digital candle?" -- Alice


and fun conversation
Looks like Dodie had a blast. Mark too, for that matter.

Trance
We went out dancing one night, but our hopes of actually getting to dance fell short because EVERY place we've gone to plays Trance music. And us american-log enjoy singing and grinding and making silly faces while we dance. With Trance, all you can do is bop. We went to two really snazzy clubs and both were pretentious, didn't change the music, overcharged everyone for drinks, and hated tourists. "But we're NOT tourists!" I feel like screaming to them sometimes. But seriously, if we come out clubbing in kurtas... doesn't that give them a clue?

Coffee Bean
I had the pleasure of drinking TWO caramel lattes at coffee bean in the Select Citywalk Mall in Saket this week. They were scrumptious and made me miss home. The malls here are so ridiculous. They are HUGE and have pretty much any store you can think of. I was happy. I love caramel lattes. I have also been happy to work from a coffee shops (today I was at Barrista, sipping on a Lavazza cappuccino w/ cinnamon).

Speaking of work, my hindi classes have been delayed for 2 weeks longer since I was sick for 2 weeks. S0 now my work has been delayed a bit. BUT I'm going in for a meeting tomorrow morning that i'm excited for. I've been reading up on all my Program Evaluation notes and text book and looking up things online... I am going to OWN this project! booyah! I also have been avoiding STATA coding re-learning. I'm hoping I don't need to actually use programing for my project -- it's all about the qualitative...

Hindi
Our class has grown to 4 students now! Say hello to Marc (his wife works for the US Embassy here in Delhi), and Amit (he's here scoping out a business in healthcare something).
Our teacher Rajindra-Ji is great! ("Ji", for those who dont know is a form of giving respect. Kinda like maam except more common. Usually you call your elders by "Ji". So his name is Rajindra, but we call him Rajindra-Ji. Dodie requested that she also be given respect, so we call her Dodie-Ji. And for some reason, everyone just calls me The Poonum. Still haven't quite figured that one out yet...)
Yesterday he taught us "relations" in a family tree. It confused us. And also intrigued us about how these relations would change in a gay marriage. Any thoughts?
Does anyone even read this anymore?
xx

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

i do! dont worry the poonum- i'm here :)

Unknown said...

i do!

Unknown said...

Thanks! At least there are 2 :)

Unknown said...

umm do i not always tell you that i ALWATS read this?? i look forward to it every week :)

Unknown said...

I read it too - I'm hooked!!!

Unknown said...

Btw I love the 'rus' comment!!!!!!!