I just finished all my baseline data. booyah!
Last week felt like Finals week, and it hasn't been 'finals week' for a long long time. So I didn't cope so well initially. But then, I put on my Working Hat, deleted facebook, and got to work. The end result? 107 interviews completed!
I've been working with my advisor and a hindi translator (who ended up giving me my survey with fonts that are mac-noncompatible; lucky me) on creating some surveys. One of the questions I asked include a series of likert questions ("Do you: strongly disagree, disagree, undecided, agree, strongly agree with the following statement...") on peoples attitudes towards people with Autism. To do THAT, I had to figure out what type of things people have been exposed to on TV (most importantly, from the show Aap Ki Antara). I started watching all the shows on their website which drove me nuts after about half an hour. The zooming in on the faces, dramatic music, and really annoying plotline (rather, the lack of a plot) resulted in me trying to find other ways to get the same information.
And I did -- the website also has these short summaries of each episode! So, i had to just sift through the buckets of (again, plot-less) Indian theater. Surprisingly enough, this experience turned out to be slightly entertaining, once I started reading peoples comments, such as this one by Ashwariya:

I ended up going to Jawaharlal Nehru University, posting up tons of flyers in their School of Social Science (their campus is beautiful, by the way), and recruited 7 hindi-speaking students (and my 2 English-speaking roomies -- thanks Thalia and Lauren!!!) to help administer the surveys in Dilli Haat, which is this cool out door flea market where tons of locals come to hang out on the weekends. Lys - you would like DIE shopping there. Ooh and they have these food court with stalls from a bunch of states throughout India (my favorite was eating Sabudana Vada from Mahrastra).
I'm rambling. And I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of run-on/incomplete sentences here. Don't judge me. I've been in India so long at this point, that I'm barely able to type in English at all. Did I tell you how I've started saying stuff like "Are you from Delhi, only?" and giving my phone number out like this "double 9-5-8-0-3-4-8-3-2"? I also realized that the fanny pack atul re-sent me (a fannypack that once made me laugh since it's so ridiculous looking) now actually tickles my fancy. I think I'm officially a fob.
In other news -
I went on my field trip for photography class to Qtub Minar and I learned a lot. Here are some of my favorite shots. The last one got a "shaabaash!" and a pat-on-my-shoulder from my Sir.
xx
No comments:
Post a Comment