Sunday, October 25, 2009

Happy Diwali!

Diwali celebrations this year were great: I was back in Gujarat at my home and with Bapu and family and friends :)

Unfortunately for me, Diwali Week also included me getting a viral infection which caused 103 degree fever that lasted for about 6 days. But did that stop me from enjoying the festivities? Heck no!!

Some highlights from Diwali:

It was my very first Diwali with my Nanima. Isn't she so cute?

During Diwali, street vendors sell colored powder and stencils and people decorate their porches with cute little designs. Nanima did this one of a peacock and little feet.
Our neighbors did this one:
And the girls at Bapu's house did this king sized monster:
The entire city was decorated in lights:
Gopu and Rads participated in a Gol Gappa eating competition. Rads held her own... and won (surprise, surprise). She ate like 65 Gol Gappas or something crazy like that. Go Team.
Don't know what Gol Gappa's are? This is my all-time favorite Indian snack (also sometimes referred to as "Pani Puri"). You have a little plate of crispy mini puri's, that are stuffed with boiled potatos/beans and then you dunk each one in this spicy tangy water (don't worry, the water is supposed to be green) and then, you are in heaven:
Hanging out with the girls:
Watching Dr. Satya work his doctor magic:
And of course, FIREWORKS!
For those who haven't been to India... the fireworks here are no joke. You can buy the massive rocket kind that shoot up in the sky like they have in Disneyland. They have huge ones and small ones and fountain ones and the kind that twirl on the floor that spit out sparks of explosives.
I wasn't as brave as this little guy, who lit some of the bigger fountain fireworks:
I just stuck to the sparklers :)
Two days after Diwali was our Indian New Years. We all woke up super early, got ready and came to Bapu's house for well-wishes. We hung out some more, played some games, and ate lots of food. Fun Fun:
Despite the fact that I actually thought I was going to melt to death in my fever, I had a great great time :) Now if only I could finalize a New Years Resolution...

xx

No comments: