Monday, September 7, 2009

Pindy Hype

We experienced our very first clubbing experience on Saturday night at the famous Urban Pind in Greater Kailash. I ate the most AMAZING gnocchi (Raagi – you would’ve loved it!): it was fluffy and potatoe-y and covered with a porcini mushroom sauce.


The music was great! A combination of techno (generally not so fun; but we were in a mushpot of fobs wearing tight pants… going crazy bopping. How can anyone not have fun in that?!), Hindi music (including Snoop Dogg version of Singh is Kinng), and American songs (Yes, Pitbull). A few of the group has been taking a Bollywood classes at this place called PAIPA (check out his pictures. It's quite amusing) so they busted out their moves when their songs came on. Yea boy!


**pictures to come, once Lauren sends them. Please send, Lauren! People want to see our moves!


It’s crazy just how trendy people are in Delhi. The girls were all in high heels and dresses; the boys wear tight shirts with obscene remarks on it (“If someone calls you a FREAK, you say ____ you” ), and everyone smokes. I think it's a really big IT thing - to smoke. In the lower floor of the dance floor, we saw some lovin’ and dancing and swaying and singing… I must agree with the New York Times’ review: “Night Life has Spice in New Delhi”. (They failed to mention that it also has the smell of Delhi.)


--

I forgot how fun it is to watch a hindi movie in theater. Lauren, Thalia, Kyle, their friend Emily, and I met up at the Satyam Cineplex in Nehru place to watch Love Aaj Kal. They had intense security: I was frisked, batteries were removed from all cameras, and my Orbitz gum was confiscated (why? keep reading). Plus, the ads on the movie screen were bomb warnings that said: “Please check under your seat for a bomb”.


Which lead me to this discovery once I got home….

Bomb Blasts at Two Cinema Halls Rocks Delhi


Scary stuff, don't you think? (And yes - I believe that they are referring to the "gum" bomb from Mission Impossible. THATS why they confiscated my gum).


Aside from that, this movie was great fun! I love Bollywood!


--

I was asked to become a fan of Lord Ganesha on Facebook.

What does this even mean? I mean, I'm Hindu - shouldn’t I be a fan of all gods? More importantly, does he even care?


On the other hand, I kinda feel sorry for him: out of my 680 friends, only 3 of them are fans. What a loser! (Just kidding. I love you, Oh big belly one!) Shout out to my Balvihar friends - remember this ode to Ganapathi?


Great God Ganapathi, I bow to Thee

Elephant Faced One, I bow to Thee

Delight of Lord Shiva, take refuge in me

Oh Big, Belly Son of Mother Parvathi...


xx

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

you are hilarious! i have been asked to be a friend of the LDS church a million times and im like....eh, i think being a member all my life and getting married in their temple shows enough fanaticism right?? haha facebook is weird. :)