Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I got my first set of care packages!!!

Thanks, Dee - for the colorful plasters (that means bandage, in 'ello govena!' talk) and way cool foofy pen!
And Artee for the coffee! And Yats for the Hula Hoop crisps (that means chips). I finished them by the time I got back to Delhi.

Gifts make my heart happy.

--
I had an amazing time in Gujarat for the past week! I went to my Guru's village and my Nani and uncle and aunt and cousins from England
came down; so did my friends from uk and India. It was a full house - 11 of us staying in our cute little 2-room bungalow :)

The schedule was pretty busy:
7am: wake up, get ready
8am: go to my Guru's lecture place for a good seat, eat breakfast in the outdoor tent. Guju breakfast is the best: jalebi, gaatiyaa, khakraa, marchaa; plus oopma and the most amazing chai ever.

930am: Bapu's lectures begin. I fell asleep a lot. I blame the heat.

1pm: lectures end; eat. (dessert of the week: fresh Mesoob. Oh my - just thinking of it makes my mouth water)

2-330pm: hang out at home: drink mochas and lounge around

330pm: Ramayan paat (a few people got together and finished singing the whole ramayan in 9 days, which took about 3 hours/day. I'd go sit for a bit. So proud of my cousin Tohral who finished the whole thing! Yay)

430pm: 2-3 hour daily nap time!

7pm: get ready/dinner time

730pm: Garba dancing!

10ish: evening programs: one day, there was a professional dance troop that performed who were fantastic! They did a sword show and really traditional garba dancing. On other days, we watched a poetry reading, comedian, and ghazal singing shows.

1am: get back home... and eat more... and sit and chat til we fall asleep :)

Cousins
Nanima & Me
Celebrating Nanima's birthday
Friends


Ms. Mahuva
Highlights:

Garba took place outdoors, in Bapu's ashram called Gurukul near the Saraswati Mandir. It was beautiful! (minus the many toads and cockroaches that loved to join in with us)

Sunero (a type of Garba where there's a big mushpot and everyone goes crazy. In this mushpot, the boys throw people in the air and catch them. Rather, they try to catch them. Often, they are unsuccessful)
Satya showing off his musical talents!

And my all-time favorite... you public healthers are really gonna get a kick out of this one.
One technique for preventing the spread of malaria in malaria-prone areas is to encourage people to wear white: you can see mosquitos and can shoo them away before they bite you.

Well instead of shooing it away, i just killed one on my Mama's back. Mid-bite.
Yes, that's blood.

Yay preventative medicine!!

xx

1 comment:

Dodie Rimmelin said...

You look gorgeous in all of these:-)